An Easy Way to Split a PDF into Separate Files
|Internet media type||application/pdf|
|Description:||PDF is a rather convenient file format to present and exchange documents. It guarantees reliability, works independently of any kind of software, hardware, or OS. The PDF format was invented by Adobe. Now it is an open standard maintained by the International Organization for Standardization. PDFs may contain links, buttons, form fields, audio and video content and some other elements. PDF files can be password-protected, edited and signed electronically.|
|Technical Details:||PDF file format meets ISO 32000 standards for electronic document exchange. This includes special-purpose standards i.e. PDF/A used for archiving, PDF/E for engineering, and PDF/X for printing. The PDF includes the following technologies: a subset of the PostScript page description programming language, a font-replacement system, a structured storage system to bind these elements and associated elements into a single file.|
|Initial Release:||15 June 1993|
How to split a PDF into multiple documents online
- Open the app in your web browser.
- Click Choose File. Select a document stored on your computer’s hard drive or phone storage and upload it to AltoSplit.
- Click a cloud storage service icon (Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive) to add a file stored online.
- Specify the page range or select the pages you want to split, then click Split Now!
- Wait for the upload to complete.
- Click Download Now to save the resulting PDF to your device or cloud storage service.
- Click Work on your PDF to edit the document online (i.e. redact, sign, or share it with another user).
- Click Start over again if you want to repeat the procedure or process another PDF.
The Supreme Features Comparison Chart
Due to the high-level competition on the web, choosing a perfect software can be tough — especially if you don’t properly compare it with the alternate options. Our checklist will assist you to quickly find your best solution to Split PDF Documents. Assess the strong features of AltoSplit.
|No software downloads||✔||✔||❌|
|Cloud storage||Unlimited||No info||No info|
|Price||Free||Free 7-Day Trial paid||Free 7-Day Trial paid|
|Encryption and security||✔||✔||✔|
Customer Reviews — Trusted by great people
I work with children, so I regularly need to split PDF documents into separate pages for worksheets, games, etc. AltoPDF saves the day makes it easy for me.
While I’m preparing for my studies splitting manuals into pages comes in handy. I learned about AltoPDF from my classmates and I’m totally satisfied with this tool!
I guess it’s one of if not the best solution for splitting PDF files. You get separate pages within a few seconds and you can download them instantly and for free!
How to Split PDF Files
How To Split PDF Files Online
Perhaps the simplest, cheapest and fastest way of splitting a document in PDF format into smaller parts is by doing the operation online. Online tools like AltoSplitPDF are focused on only one process. It makes them the perfect choice for those who do not want to install the app, software or pay for PDF processing. With this service, separating large files into smaller parts goes by quickly and easy. Generally, the process is simple and takes only a few simple steps:
- Open the service and upload the file for splitting.
- Wait until file uploads and specify the pages for splitting.
- Select pages by clicking at them or type their numbers, separating by comma or a hyphen in the input area.
- Apply changes and your template will be ready for download.
- Save file to your device or cloud.
The usage of the online-based solution has multiple pluses as it is available from any computer, tablet or smartphone. Its ease of use in combination with the unlimited possibility of document splitting makes it perfect for all who have access to the Internet. On top of all that, the solution is integrated with cloud-based services. Thus, it is possible to add the template from preferable storage and save it there as well.
How To Split a PDF Using Google Chrome
Google Chrome, that is commonly known by most internet users. It is a browser that gained popularity thanks to its cross-platforming and flexibility. It is easily integrated into any mobile or desktop operating system. Additionally, Chrome serves not only as a browser and PDF viewer but also as a background for the installation of additional applications. This peculiarity empowers it with a customizable toolkit. It will contain a number of extensions, to support everyone’s personal needs. The pages splitting is possible with the Alto Split Chrome extension.
Here is how you can split PDF document with Alto Split:
- Install solution from Chrome Web Store.
- Open extension by clicking at its logo.
- Upload PDF from inner storage or Drive.
- Specify pages for splitting
- Save the final document to your device.
Finally, you get a perfectly arranged document in several minutes. The operation is easily completed thanks to the user-friendly interface. Those who used to process PDFs on a regular basis will certainly appreciate this extension for Chrome. It allows splitting as many templates as you need, without any registration or payments. With it, the tool you need will always be by your hand available right from the browser.
How To Split a PDF File in Windows
Windows is not as equipped with PDF editing and transforming software as Mac. Still, Windows users can transform files with some hidden tricks it contains. Perhaps, everybody knows that the majority of browsers, both default and installed by a user can open PDFs. Internet Explorer in the older versions of Windows or Microsoft Edge in the newer versions includes this feature as well. Both them easily open Portable Document Format templates and help to reorganize their structure, if necessary.
It is possible through the usage of the following lifehack:
- Open the document in the default windows browser.
- Go to the printing menu.
- Enlist the pages you need to include in the future document, separating them by a comma.
- Save the template as PDF (for Edge), or save in the virtual printer (for Explorer).
The option is not called splitting itself. In fact, it is rather a kind of a trick, that is why it is not popular and not known by many users. Still, it helps to save money and time of all who have Windows-based laptops and desktop computers. The elimination of additional research and registration processes makes this option the best installation-free solution for fast document splitting. With it, any file can be divided into smaller parts in seconds. The final template will have perfect quality and contain only the information you need.
How To Split PDF File by Pages on Mac
Mac OS users are the lucky ones, as they have a lot of features for document previewing and editing installed by default. For example, Preview helps to see PDFs content, reorganize its pages and combine several documents in one. Also, it helps to reorganize pages in the document. It simplifies PDF processing for Mac OS users, as they need no search for the online or desktop software and pays for a subscription.
Here is how one can remove unneeded pages from the template:
- Open the file by double-clicking on it with a touchpad or the right button of a mouse.
- Use a multiple-choice tool or select one page you need to extract. To see pages preview go to Sidebar and select Table of Contents.
- Choose all needed for extraction parts.
- Drag and drop selected pages to the desktop and the system will automatically create a new document out of them.
It is simple enough to separate all important parts from a template if you are aware of this trick. With Pages, several more things can be completed. If you need to make more serious procedures with multiple documents it is better to find a full-featured online or desktop solution that will cover all the features in one. With it, the time on template processing will be undoubtedly saved. There is a wide variety of PDF split solution and everyone can find the one, preferably in his/her particular case.
How To Split a PDF into Multiple Files With Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is a widely used solution for processing a PDF document from any device. It has a lot of software solutions for every platform including Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. To use this software one needs to download the software and install it to your device. Also, it is necessary to register, as registration helps to have access to the Adobe document Cloud. This option synchronizes all information from the user’s account when signing up at any device. The Split option is also available in Acrobat. To separate pages from a document with it follow these steps:
- Install Acrobat DC and open a document in it.
- Click at Organize Pages option and select Split.
- Specify splitting details and apply changes.
- Save the split file or make further changes in it (if necessary).
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a paid Acrobat version. To use its whole toolkit one should register and at the end of a week trial period, then pay for the subscription plan. If you used to annual processing of documents, then you should better install the free mobile application. It covers all the needed features, and most documents can be processed with it without any additional payments. Still, those who work with digital documents on a regular basis should better install a desktop app.
How to Split PDF on the Phone
PDFs are usually bigger than other file types because they keep all texts, fonts, images and other important elements intact. Saving these large files on mobile devices can be inconvenient. Making the ability to split PDFs right from your phone a useful thing. Follow the instructions below to complete the process and save space:
- Go to altosplitpdf.com or find this function on altopdf.com.
- Click Choose File to upload your file.
- Select the pages you want to separate.
- Click Split Now!
- Continue editing your document using another Alto function if needed.
- Hit the Download Now button to save the document and export it to your device.
By utilizing this function, you will gain valuable and significant benefits like splitting PDFs and saving space and storage on your device for free. Using Alto is pretty straightforward, so we are sure that you shouldn’t run into any issues while editing your files. With accessible solutions on the web and in an application form, you have the opportunity to edit the documents from any device; mobile phone, tablet, laptop or even your desktop.
How to Split PDF on iPhone
To split PDF an on an iPhone, you don't need to install special software or pay lots of money for subscriptions. Do it online for free. With AltoPDF.com and altosplitpdf.com, the process of separating pages is fast and straightforward. Please take a look at our instructions to understand its simplicity:
- Open altosplitpdf.com in the browser.
- Upload a record from the device or connected cloud storage.
- Tap on page thumbnails or write their page numbers to select them.
- Tap Split Now!
- Save the file by clicking Download Now or continue managing it in a pdfFiller’s powerful editor.
Splitting portable document format samples is useful both for personal and business needs. For example, you can optimize your file storage by extracting the needed pages rather than having a big doc on your device, which can be quite problematic for iOS devices.
Moreover, sometimes you receive whole packages of documents. Managing them is a complicated and slow process. Opening the document, looking for a needed page and many other procedures that only waste your time.
The opportunity to extract pages directly on the iPhone is an excellent way to optimize your time and storage.
How to Split PDF on Android
Splitting documents in portable document format on the web is quite an easy task, but you can split PDF on Android even easier. A tiny application from Alto will help you to extract pages in seconds. Forget about big files that spend a lot of your memory space and waste your time because of slow loading. Download our free application 'Alto split PDF' from the PlayMarket and optimize your document management with this short guide:
- Open the app. upload your file from the cloud or internal storage.
- Click on the pages to select them or enter their numbers.
- Tap the Convert Now! button.
- Download your new file to your device by clicking Download Now, or continue editing it by clicking Work on your PDF to open the powerful editor by pdfFiller.
This small program requires only 10 Mb of your storage, but it will allow you to save much more. With this app, you don't need to look for a computer, install additional software, pay for buying it or for a subscription. Alto services offer the best quality and the highest speed for free. Consider using our applications not only for extracting pages but also rotating, merging, signing and converting them. If you only need to split your document one time, don't forget about useful web platform altopdf.com where you can find the functions you need for managing PDFs.
There are few ways to work upon Portable Document Format. One of them is the software to install on your device. Another one is the use of online solutions. The first option loses the processing online, as the search and installation of special programs take your time, and they may be unsafe, contain viruses. Browser-based services are more suitable, quick and safe.